According to ESPN on Thursday, Anderson Silva (3-2, 2 KOs BOX; 34-11, 1 NC MMA) and Chris Weidman (0-0 BOX; 16-8 MMA) will be throwing down for the third time. Unlike their first two encounters which took place inside of the Ultimate Fighting Championship cage, the aging 185ers will be competing under the rules of boxing. They will be facing off at the Kaseya Center in Miami on the undercard of the Jake Paul vs. ‘Tank’ Davis event on Netflix.
Advertisement
The two will serve as the opener of the Netflix main card, and they will be meeting at heavyweight over six rounds.
Nakisa Bidarian, Most Valuable Promotions CEO, said about this match, “Anderson and his team approached me immediately after the Jake Paul vs. ‘Tank’ Davis fight was announced and said they would like to be part of the event and he would like to fight Chris Weidman. Once it was clear that both men wanted it, and wanted it as a professional fight, MVP was 100% in given the history between them, reaching a broader generational consumer base and enhancing the event’s marketability in Brazil.”
The Spider Rises Again
Silva, 50, has not gone into his old age quietly. Ending his time with the UFC in 2020 on the heels of three straight losses, and a rough run including two losses to Weidman that spanned one victory across seven defeats and a no contest, Silva did not stop there. “The Spider” tested his mettle three times in the boxing ring, battling Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Tito Ortiz and Paul himself. While the legendary MMA fighter won the first two, Paul won a decision over him in 2022. The Brazilian has since entered into a few exhibition bouts against Bruno Machado and Chael Sonnen to keep his skills sharp.
While Silva has tested his mettle in the sweet science since departing the confines of MMA, Weidman took some time off and pushed his own career to the limit. Currently at the age of 41, “The All-American” fought as recent as December, where he fell short to Eryk Anders. Earlier that year, however, Weidman won a technical decision over Bruno Silva—one marred due to a few eye pokes landed by the New Yorker. A month after losing to Anders, he announced his retirement from the promotion, but not fighting altogether, as he was briefly linked this year to the ill-fated GFL promotion that never failed to get off the ground.
Weidman made a simple statement in the press release provided by Most Valuable Promotions and Netflix, stating, “I’m undefeated in boxing and it’s gonna stay that way on Friday, Nov. 14, live on Netflix. I’m the original spider killer.”
Silva countered with a similar note to hype the match and give his thoughts on running it back with a man who has twice defeated him, writing, “I am super excited to embark on another battle against Chris. We have a history and on Friday, Nov. 14, live only on Netflix, we’re putting another stamp on our chapter together. It will be a spectacle for the fans!”
This article first appeared at Recent News on Sherdog.com
Help support MMACrazies.com when you shop Amazon by starting your online Amazon shopping at MMACrazies.com/recommends/amazon. You are not charged extra, but we receive a small and very helpful commission on everything you purchase. Thanks for thinking of us every time you shop at Amazon.

