The 36 year-old last fought inside the Octagon against Michael Bisping for the middleweight title back in November. “GSP” submitted the Brit in the third round via rear-naked choke to claim the belt. Then, on Dec. 7 (31 days after capturing the belt) St. Pierre relinquished the middleweight title due to a colitis diagnosis, a medical condition where the colon becomes inflamed, with the Canadian stating that he didn’t want to hold up the division in light of the diagnosis.
Talking with MMAJunkie.com, MacDonald mentioned the desire of the former two-time champion and believes if St. Pierre still has the fire to compete at the top level to enhance his legacy, then he should.
“Even if he lost five in a row, still I don’t think it would taint what he’s done,” MacDonald told MMAjunkie. “He’s done some of the most amazing stuff in the sport so far, so I’m really happy for him. If he feels he has more left in the tank, then I think absolutely he should get in there and do his thing. I don’t think any top fighter like that should feel like he left the game early.”
MacDonald continued, “Chael Sonnen said it well: A lot of champions leave face down and on the mat. That’s an admirable way to look at it. That’s usually when you know when you’re done, when your time if over in the sport. Clearly that isn’t the case for Georges right now. He’s far from that stage.”
This article first appeared at Recent News on Sherdog.com