in ,

UFC vets give Conor McGregor ‘puncher’s chance’ to beat Max Holloway at UFC 329

Some UFC veterans think the odds are heavily stacked against Conor McGregor in his return. 

McGregor (22-6) is scheduled to return for the first time since 2021 against Max Holloway (27-9) at UFC 329 on July 11 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Former foe Dustin Poirier, who beat McGregor twice, believes “Notorious” only has a “puncher’s chance” against Holloway. Former middleweight champion Chris Weidman agrees with Poirier, giving McGregor only the first couple of minutes to potentially finish Holloway.

Advertisement

“The only chance Conor really has is to knock out Max,” Weidman said on Deep Waters. “And probably in the first or second round.”

Limited Time to Make an Impact

While Jorge Masvidal agrees with Poirier and Weidman, he doesn’t thinks McGregor only has a chance in the first couple of minutes of the fight.

“Second round, not even… He’s got two minutes,” Masvidal said.

Weidman noted that McGregor is going up against a volume puncher, who holds the record for the most significant strikes landed in UFC history. Meanwhile, Poirier, who lost to Holloway in his retirement fight last year, believes “Blessed” is more than just a volume puncher now. Poirier notes that while Holloway largely relied on volume at featherweight, the Hawaiian’s power has significantly increased since moving up to lightweight. With the matchup against McGregor scheduled at welterweight, Poirier believes Holloway could land fight-ending shots. 

This article first appeared at Recent News on Sherdog.com


Help support MMACrazies.com when you shop Amazon by starting your online Amazon shopping at MMACrazies.com/recommends/amazon. You are not charged extra, but we receive a small and very helpful commission on everything you purchase. Thanks for thinking of us every time you shop at Amazon.

What do you think?

Dustin Poirier shares pick for UFC 329 co-main event

Professor Rodrigo Boroski de volta às origens