in

Anthony Romero Hoping to Move from KOTC to the UFC

After an impressive run in the amateur ranks, lightweight Anthony Romero has managed to have a solid start to his pro MMA career with two wins in his first two bouts.

Against Peter San Antonio in November of last year and versus Sean Felton on February 17, both for King of the Cage, Romero was able to control each fight, but not win how he would have liked.

“I had both my pro fights with KOTC and I feel really comfortable with them and everything,” Romero told MMAWeekly.com. “Plus it’s close to home, and we don’t get many fights in Ontario. I get all the support and it’s nice.

“I got the wins, but unfortunately they were both decisions. Every fighter wants to finish as fast as possible, but it’s been good so far. I’ve won 30-27 both fights, so I won all six rounds, and I’m happy with my performance.”

Prior to turning pro, Romero had over 10 fights in the amateur ranks, and feels the lessons he learned there were essential to making a successful transition.

“In my amateur career I lost once in my second fight against a wrestler from Ohio State (named TJ Rigel),” said Romero. “That really taught me a lesson that you can’t just be good in one aspect of martial arts.

“After that I really took the effort to improve. I started training with the Brock Wrestling Team in St. Catherine, and they’ve helped me a lot. Ever since then I’ve won 11 (combined) fights in a row.”

This article first appeared at News – MMAWeekly.com

What do you think?

Invicta Champ Challenges Cris Cyborg After UFC 222

Yana Kunitskaya reflects on ‘weird’ UFC 222 fight with Cris Cyborg, plans to return to 135 pounds